• Ringworm is nothing to do with worms.
• Ringworm is brought about by a fungus that eats keratin, a protein found in skin, hair, and nails.
• Children under 15 are more prone to this disease.
• The disease is contagious.
If you have ringworm, you might think you have worms in your body or a disease caused by worms. But the fact is Ringworm is a fungal infection that develops on the top layer of your skin. The disease gets its name from its ring-shaped appearance and a raised, scaly border that snakes its way around the edge like a worm. No real worm is engaged with the illness. Usually, itching is an associated symptom.
Some types of ringworm infection include
Tinea pedis (athlete’s foot)
Tinea cruris (jock itch).
Human to human: Most of the time Ringworm spreads by direct contact with an infected person.
Animal to human: Ringworm also spreads due to direct touch from an animal to humans. This can happen while petting or grooming them. It’s more likely to see in crows.
Object to human: Spreading can occur from contact with objects or surfaces that an infected individual or animal has recently touched or rubbed against, such as clothing, towels, bedding and linens, combs, and brushes.
Soil to humans: In rare cases, ringworm spreads from soil to humans through direct touch with infected soil. Infection would occur only from prolonged contact with the affected soil.
High-risk category includes,
• People who lives in a warm climate
• Those who keep close contact with the infected individuals
• Sharing personal belongings with someone who has been infected
• Wear tight or restrictive clothing
• Weak immune system
When to consult Doctor???
See the doctor if you have a rash on your skin that doesn’t exhibit any change even after two weeks.
• A flat scaly area on the skin, which may be red and itchy.
• Irregular ring
• In a few cases, several rings develop at the same time and may overlap.
• There is no particular diet that is recommended to follow in case of ringworm infection.
• Try to eat clean and balanced diet which helps to maintain good health and immunity.