The term Indigestion is used by patients and physicians to designate some form of gastrointestinal tract upset. It includes diverse symptoms, which in turn may be manifestations of gastrointestinal and non-gastrointestinal diseases. The words indigestion and dyspepsia may be used interchangeably, which implies one or more symptoms experienced shortly after eating, as a result of the digestive disorder.
Occasionally patients use the term indigestion to describe the symptoms of heartburn. However, it is defined more specifically as a condition where some of the stomach contents are forcefully backed up into the esophagus. Due to which it results in burning pain in the lower chest region.
- Disobeying the dietary rules is the supreme cause of indigestion. This may include irregular timings of taking food, Overeating or eating the food too quickly, eating heavy food which is slow to digest.
- Suppression of natural urges.
- Drinking excessive water unnecessarily.
- Sleeping during day time.
- Not sleeping at night.
- Over usage of caffeine, alcohol, chocolate or carbonated beverages
- Due to the long term use of certain antibiotics, pain relievers and iron supplements.
- Aversion towards the food.
- Uncomfortable fullness after the meal. Fullness lasts longer than it should and results in heaviness and bloating in the abdomen.
- Constipation or diarrhoea.
- Nausea, often accompanied by vomiting.
- Pain in the abdomen.
- Body ache, feeling of heaviness in body, dizziness.
- Repeated yawning and inactive.
- Burning sensation in chest associated with sour belching
- Excessive Sweating.
- Excessive thirst.
Indigestion may be an associated symptom with many diseases, few of them include:
- Peptic ulcers
- Stomach cancer
- Intestinal blockage
- Reduced blood flow in the intestine
Avoid eating stale, hot, spicy & oily food items. Avoid intake of fermented food, junk food & bakery foods regularly. Any incompatible food should be avoided. Should not drink excessive water when hungry because it can weaken the digestive fire. Avoid intake of pickles, alcohol, spicy, salty, acidic food. Minimalize the usage of fried food, non-veg food items which can furthermore worsen the digestion.