Constipation can be correlated to Vibhanda explained in Ayurveda. In this condition an individual experiences, irregular bowel movements or hard stools, painful defecation, feeling of abdominal bloating or discomfort. Constipation leads to painful defecation. If the condition becomes severe this leads to bowel obstruction.
Constipation is a very common gastro-intestinal disorder experienced by most of the individuals at some point during their life time. It may be due to poor diet lacking sufficient fiber, or poor fluid intake. It can occur in any age group. Studies have reported constipation is more common in women than men.
- Diet lacking fiber
- Inadequate fluid intake
- Controlling or ignoring the natural urges
- Long term consumption of medications like antacids, anti-histamines, anti-psychotic drugs, anti-hypertensive medicines etc.
- Lack of activity or exercise
- Continuous travel
- Difficulty in passing stools
- Stools are hard in nature
- Abdominal pain
- Experiencing strain while passing motions
- Abdominal discomfort or bloating